Monday, June 6, 2011

Writer's Block

One of my favorite English professors in college had this colorful expression: “In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.” It means that if you know a little about a certain subject matter (finance, computer technology, Star Wars), and you find yourself surrounded by people less knowledgeable about said matter, then they will usually regard you as an expert. I should have just kept my mouth shut and said that I am a seminarian, nothing more. Unfortunately, Fr. Francis got a whiff that I majored in English and thus volunteered me to give a series of lectures to the ‘Millennium Writers,’ a student group at the University, in hopes of re-starting their newsletter that has long since ended.

I never focused on journalism or layout design in college. I don’t even think I can explain writing. For me it is like navigating around Powerpoint or recalling random quotes from movies—I don’t know HOW I do it, I just DO it! But now every Monday and Thursday morning I will be speaking for an hour (about something) to these students about writing. I will need prayers for this endeavor, please! I have NO clue what to talk about. During a preliminary meeting, these students kept thanking me like I was another Hemmingway or Shakespeare (closer to Dr. Seuss) sent to rejuvenate their writers program. They have a tangible hunger to make a difference in their post-war country and an appreciation for the hidden power that language contains.

I know that God will make all things possible and perhaps unlock some secret reservoir of knowledge I may have. But this is kinda crazy. I thought God would use me here to help feed children or perhaps battle a lion to save a village…not to give English lectures. This strange turn of events has prompted me to reflect on the English education I have been given: from the teachers at Holy Family through Northeast High to UF; from random writers’ camps to teen-magazine submissions; all throughout I have experienced a quantity of quality teachers, professors, and mentors. To whom much is given, much will be asked. Sigh...

Before I would serve Mass at the seminary (where all the guys are hyper-critical and always looking for mistakes), I would say this simple yet heartfelt prayer: “Dear God, please do not let me screw this up."

I call it the “Prayer of Bob.” Feel free to use it. I’ll be offering it up before my classes.

-Bob
written 06/04/11

4 comments:

  1. Bob which one are you in the photo I just can't seem to find you - Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look smelly in this picture. just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever battle a lion to save a village...i want pictures!! God bless you Bob in all that you are doing there and the challenges that await you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's messed...just because they are wearing white shirts you have to wear a black one? haha...God bless you! You have crack me up with your entries...you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete