Monday, June 27, 2011

Thus Saith the Lord

To continue on this note of personal reflection for a bit, I’ll fill you in on the Bible study that I am leading. I asked Sister Raphael when I first got here if there was anything in particular that I could do for the young men on the mission or if there was something that they needed that I could possibly fulfill. After talking for a while, and my mention of a starting a Bible study, she said that was actually something that they wanted to start up this summer for the men. So that settled it. After a talk with Fr. Garry I was off.

I had more or less free reign over what I wished to cover and how I would lead it. In prayer, the Book of Exodus kept coming to mind. I felt that this had many themes and topics that were relevant and would allow for some fruitful dialogue (besides the fact that I knew more about this book than others so I felt more comfortable leading a study on it).

So again, I find myself reading and studying in between our meetings. Luckily, Fr. Garry does have Biblical commentary on Exodus and Sister has a teaching manual for the Old Testament that I can pull from. And the men seem to be enjoying it. At first it took some time for them to start talking, but I think this is true for most.

I found that whatever much I thought I knew about Exodus, after more study and reflection I realized that I really didn’t know that much. Old Testament class did teach me a lot, however, especially later when we get to the ark, the dwelling place of the Lord.

It has also proven to be a good reflection for myself. Upon reading, I have found many parallels between Moses and myself. Now please don’t get me wrong, I’m not bragging that the Lord has chosen me to lead Africa out of poverty and tyranny or anything. While this may prove to be true, at this moment I am talking more about Moses’ hesitations and stubbornness (and also not his adoption, no matter what Bob may say).

A good prayer for me now before my classes, or reflections, or what have you, has been Moses’ cry to the Lord upon the commencement of his mission. In Exodus 4:10-13, Moses says to the Lord, “If you please, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past, nor recently, nor now that you have spoken to your servant; but I am slow of speech and tongue.” But the Lord said to him, “Who gives one man speech and makes another deaf and dumb? Or who gives sight to one and makes another blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Go then! It is I who will assist you in speaking and will teach you what you are to say.”

As the saying goes, “God does not call the qualified, but qualifies the called.” Anyway, I had better do what the Lord has called me to do before He sends a plague of mosquitoes my way!

-Dan
written 06/27/11

2 comments:

  1. Christina GauthreauxJune 27, 2011 at 3:26 PM

    I definetly think you're on to something with the similarity between you and Moses in the areas of hesitance and stubborness :)haha just kidding... I'm enjoying the journaling and insight!

    ReplyDelete