Monday, June 27, 2011

Party in the CONTINENT Where the Heat is On

The seminary is an interesting place, to say the least. I can say without a doubt that this past year has been one of the best, but at the same time one of the most challenging years of my life. I can also say that I have not come to realize, therefore properly appreciate, exactly what I have received over this past year. It is only now that I have begun to see.

My reflection on the seminary had a rather unusual start. It started with food. I have been asked by several people how I’m adjusting to the local food here, which from my experience consists largely of rice, gravy (any number of particular sauces containing meat and vegetables), plantains, and fresh fruits, to name an average lunch. I was even asked if I had ever tasted or even heard of plantains before. I responded of course, and that Miami had actually prepared me pretty well for the local meals that I have come across (a special shout-out to my Cuban kin).

Another question I have received quite a lot has been how I’m handling the weather. Again I would say that Miami has grown me accustom to the heat, especially thinking back to evening prayer in our unair-conditioned chapel. After thinking about these more superficial ways that the seminary has enabled me, I started to think and pray about what other fruits this past year have brought.

It is true that you may never know your full potential until you really put yourself out there, and the short time that I have already been here has shown me that. It is hard to write, actually, because I feel that there are so many examples that I could name.

On the human level, the vast range of personalities and cultures at the seminary is very important. This really helps to form you and enable you to interact with anyone that you may meet in our pastoral duties. The “culture shock” that Miami gives has also helped in its own way. A common joke is that need a passport to get into Miami because of the huge Hispanic influence there. Well, I really do need my passport here in Africa, but the “culture shock” I received here may not be too far from that of Miami. And it’s funny, I find that if I really can’t understand or communicate with someone here then some Spanish words tend to slip out. I guess my brain thinks that maybe if I try another language it will help (but it never does).

The classes, of course, have proven to be invaluable. What I have learned, and even picked up without knowing, has really helped me in every pastoral assignment I have been given. Philosophy really helps you to understand why we think the way that we do today. And studying it at the seminary in particular has helped me to break down my own way of thought in order to help understand myself better. I even received some explanation and practice on how to give a homily in two of my classes. Even though I thought it might have been a bit premature since this was only my first year in the seminary, I can’t explain how grateful I am now that I will be giving many reflections to the local people in the weeks to come.

The spiritual aspect, as well, has been a great blessing. The importance of daily Mass, Liturgy of the Hours, and our own personal holy hour has really been instilled in me and has become truly revitalizing for me here. Looking at today’s readings, as St. Paul says, though many, we are one body in the participation in the Body of Christ. This has been a great consolation to know that I am still connected with you all every time that we receive the Eucharist at Mass.

As for my discernment, well I shall leave that for another post…

And of course, this does not exhaust all that the seminary has given me so far in my journey, and I still have a lot of reflection to do on this past year. But even for all of my complaining I may have done over this year (and now Fr. Garza will give me some nails when I get back), it has been, and will continue to be, a process of transformation for me into the man that God has created me to be. And for this I cannot praise the Lord enough.

-Dan
written 06/26/11

1 comment: