Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ru-fi-oooo!

So I have had a rather strange, but nostalgic, stream of thoughts running through my head for some time now that I have finally given into. It has to do with the movie Hook. If you have not seen it then I highly suggest that you do, but for the sake of understanding I will briefly describe the plot: When Captain Hook kidnaps his children, an adult Peter Pan must return to Neverland and reclaim his youthful spirit in order to challenge his old enemy (I hope this was brief enough for you).

In the movie one of the tasks that Peter has to accomplish in order to become Peter Pan again and gain the respect and trust of the Lost Boys is to learn how to crow. Well, on the mission here we have an abundance of chickens and roosters roaming the grounds. And unbeknownst to me, it appears that roosters crow all day long, not just in the mornings. Besides that newfound knowledge, and newfound annoyance, their crows often reminded me of Hook, though I never gave it much thought besides that.

This morning, however, when I woke up the roosters were all gathered outside my window crowing away, and I had a vision from the movie. Toodles, an eccentric old man, going up to Peter in a crazed manner after his children were kidnapped saying:

“Have to fly, have to fight, have to crow, have to save Maggie, have to save Jack, Hook is back.”

I chuckled to myself, but then I began to think. I am going out again tonight with the catechists and I have to prepare another reflection, this time on Corpus Christi. I was praying last night about what I would say, and how they expect me to come up with reflections like these all summer long with my one year of philosophy and barely any resources. In prayer, however, I came up with, what I think, is a pretty powerful reflection for the people.

Then this morning when this quote came into my head I was inspired. Maybe this is my time to learn how to crow (hold your laughter please this is very serious). Maybe this is my time to embrace, maybe not a youthful spirit like Peter, but the Spirit of the Lord. To continue to let go and place all my trust in Him that He will lead my words and their hearts.

So I too will learn to crow for Christ! I just hope I don't lose my marbles…

-Dan
written 06/25/11

1 comment: