Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Ah-Porto"

As Father Francis and I have been driving around the town, I have noticed a lot of the children waving and saying “ah-porto!” I figured they were all calling to him, or that the word meant ‘priest’ or ‘father.’ Well…no. Today Fr. Francis clarified this as we drove out of town to the village outposts to celebrate Mass. Before the British, the Portuguese were the first to “claim” Sierra Leone. Colloquially, now it means “white man.” At least they’re waving and smiling when they say it. So when the kids are shouting “ah-portoooo” as we drive by, I wave now, feeling a bit like the pope.

I certainly receive stares, usually from very small children and adults who look at me like I have five eyes. It’s not everyday that a white man strolls into this section of Africa, I suppose. Older kids and teens seem more open to getting to know me, and they enjoy saying my name: either “BAH-B” or “WOB-ert Ain-GEL”. I was invited to play football (soccer) with a group of kids from the parish later this evening.

I have been taken aback by several people asking what I thought about Africa before I came, or did I think all Africans were Zulu warriors living in huts, or if I had even heard of Sierra Leone before being assigned to it (I hadn’t). These questions came not from places of personal attack, but genuine curiosity of how the world views them. I am on the other side of the continent, far from any zebra, lion, and giraffe, and I am finding a culture as diversified as Bostonians can be from Texans. It’s

oversimplification to clump all African cultures under one heading. Each country has its own share of developmental problems and cultural treasure. Likewise, the people I have met are eager to put the fame of ‘Blood Diamond’ and other war-centered images behind them. They have fought hard for peace, and are not willing to let the violence of their past rise again anytime soon. Bishop Biguzzi assured me that this is one of the safest countries in the world, and from what I have seen in my limited time here, I can agree.

Still wrestling with some homesickness, but God seems to be giving me the grace to push through that hump. I guess I just wasn’t expecting to miss my family this much. But having Mass every morning here has been my strength, and I know that I am with them and you all through the Eucharist. Since I may only be able to access the internet twice a week, I’ll just be throwing on these reflections in clumps as a time, so pay no attention to the day/time that they’re posted; I will write the actual date I wrote it under my name.

“Every day you have to say ‘yes.’ Total surrender! To be where He wants you to be…If God wants you to be in a palace, alright…accept to be in the palace” –Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

—Bob
Written 05/29/11

*After football, a 10-year old named Issa tugged on my shirt and pointed to a nearby statue of Mary and asked, “Missionary, who is that?” We talked for ten minutes about Mary…best moment of the day!

2 comments:

  1. Francesca McEntegartJune 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM

    I love how Issa was asking you about Mary. I know you are doing so much good over there. I enjoy reading your blog. I like how you are begining to find humor in sweating so much :) Know of our daily prayers. TTM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why you never pass up a game of futball... :)

    ReplyDelete