Monday, July 4, 2011

You Got Served

I am in 6th grade. I am on the receiving end of a volleyball that has been spiked directly towards my face. I hate this game.

I am now 26 years old. I am on the receiving end of a volleyball that has been spiked directly towards my face. Why, oh Lord? Why do I do this?

Youth ministry. I “woke up” to the incredible gift of our faith through youth ministry and many of my friends today were met during those formative high school years. I don’t know if I ever would have opened myself to the potential of priesthood if not for a Steubenville youth conference, and I have been blessed to chaperone an additional five conferences all around the country. Each time is a spiritual renewal for me, bringing me back to my roots. Aware of how I was blessed, I like to give back to youth ministry as best as I can…even if it entails playing such a cutthroat game as African volleyball.

I never enjoyed sports that involved throwing, catching, or chasing after a ball. It never made sense to me (now if it were a hamburger, I would chase after it). So I swam, ran track, and during college I evolved into a gym rat. If you need a guy to quickly get from point A to point B or lift heavy things, I’m your man. But for the sake of relational ministry, I will put myself in these situations where my whiteness becomes evident. Even with a language barrier, the teens here just enjoy me goofing around with them, joining in their drum circles, and at least showing up for the games. The athletics are taken very seriously here, I should note. The boys play to kill, and they will take your head off with some of their spikes. Thankfully, my testosterone level has increased slightly since 6th grade and I even stuffed the biggest guy at the net last week. I’ve come a long way since “Most Improved” on the 8th grade basketball team.*

-Bob
written 07/01/11



*I am well aware that what the “Most Improved” award in athletics really means is that “you were pretty awful at the beginning of the season, but now you’re less than awful.” And I’m ok with that.

1 comment:

  1. Just to add to your footnote, I won "Most Improved" on the volleyball team in both 6th AND 7th grade! What does that say?? You became awful AGAIN at the beginning of this season?? Haha! But yes, I was still proud of those awards...

    ReplyDelete