Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rich or Poor?

I came across an interesting question recently. It asked whether it would be harder to be poor in a rich country rather than in a bankrupt one. The question stuck with me, and instead of just staying in my own head, I was curious to see what others had to say.

So I set off in search of answers. I asked two of the other American missionaries and they said it would definitely be harder to be poor in a rich country. In a rich country you would have a constant reminder of what you yourself do not have, and in poorer countries, as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss. Not that they don’t know what’s out there, but they are not continually bombarded with advertisements and reminders. I then asked Tata, the Liberian woman who cooks for us, the same question. She said with fervor that it would be harder in a poor country. In a rich one you would most likely have parents or grandparents that could help you out. In a poor country, odds are that your whole family is in the same boat you are in because they stick together more often than not. Also, the physical work they must go through just to receive their daily bread is immense. On top of cooking for us all morning, Tata said that she also works in the bush farming because the pay is small to rely on the one job.

I believe that the answer really lies in your perspective of the question, however. Both sides have valid points, but both sides also fall short. You can look at poverty from a materialistic standpoint or you can look at poverty from a spiritual one. From a materialistic standpoint, I may have to agree with Tata. While in wealthier countries individuals might not seem to take as much notice of the poor, there are better social services and charities that can help with survival needs (food, water, shelter, etc.) and education. It also seems easier to get back on your feet, while my experience here hasn’t shown me too many opportunities for people to get out of the situations they are in.

If we choose to look at spiritual poverty, however, I think the wealthier countries might be harder. This also has to do with perspective I believe. In wealthier countries the mindset is more worldly and less God-centered. There is much more of a value placed of material objects and status, so it is by no means easy for people to accept the idea of spiritual poverty. And it would probably be safe to say that the typical man on the street barely ever gives a thought to the idea of poverty as a religious ideal. In poorer countries, on the other hand, the lack of riches and materials leads to a mindset that is centered more on the family and on God. Because what else do they have?

I have found this hard to accept myself. I am not wanting for anything for my survival where I am staying. I have food, water, shelter, and security. But the mindset I have is beyond survival to wanting comfort. I do have opportunities to go beyond and add superfluities to my life, but I have tried to make the effort, in the spirit of poverty and solidarity, to give up certain comforts that I could very well obtain.

Strictly speaking, poverty in itself in not a good thing, but we do not seek it for itself but for the positive values for which it prepares us. Jesus himself said, “Blessed are you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is yours” (Lk 6:20). So no matter where you are living or what situation in life you are in, we are all challenged to live out a frugality in our faith. And it may not be an easy way to live or a popular one, but this is because God’s thoughts are not ours so many will not like or understand them.

-Dan
written 07/04/11

No comments:

Post a Comment