Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Natural Mystic

“Jesus left the house and went down to the lakeshore…”



This past weekend’s Gospel centered on the “Sower and Seed” parable. Perhaps I’ve just heard the reading so many times that I tried to find something new. I’m no Scripture scholar, but I’m learning that the little details, such as the time of day or what day of the week it is, actually matter. The first sentence began “Jesus left the house and went down to the lakeshore…” Then the crowd found him so he hopped into a canoe to escape. I can identity. One of the primary areas of development within the seminary is what they call “human formation,” that is, recognizing our complex dimensions and demands as human beings. This includes the need to recreate (re-create), to “get away” once in awhile to breathe.

Fr. Francis doesn’t have the luxury of an “off day” since he is the only priest in the parish—ergo, I do not get an “off day.” I’m not sure what I would do with a day off, anyway…probably read even more than I already do. My extra challenge is that, while yes, this area of Sierra Leone is inherently striking because it is Africa, it is developed and noisy, and I haven’t had much chance to appreciate the natural beauty. I suppose I grew up a spoiled ‘Florida baby,’ living so close to water. Gainesville took a toll on me because it was landlocked, and after several weeks I would have to continually escape the college town to get to the sea. Obviously, Christ saw the meditative value of the shore, and who am I to doubt the wisdom of our Lord?

Fr. Francis offered to take me to the beach at Freetown next week (if the health of his truck holds). I pray that this comes to pass. I can’t think of a better way to leave Sierra Leone than to get back in touch with the Atlantic. A professor in college told me once that people have different spiritualities: some tap into God in the mountains, for others the forest or the desert, and some have a “beach spirituality.” I know my place. After drums and jungles, it’s about time to get back to the horizon and one particular harbor.

-Bob
07/11/11

1 comment:

  1. Christina GauthreauxJuly 13, 2011 at 2:59 AM

    We are waiting in anticipation for your return :) But enjoy the time you have, I'm sure the Lord will pack these last couple weeks with tons of graces for you!

    ReplyDelete