Sunday, August 14, 2011

Waves of Grace

This past weekend I was able to make one last trip around Liberia before my departure on Wednesday. Rachel and I were invited to another mission about three hours away in a city called Careysburg. So on Friday we met up with a friend named Chris, yet another local American, who is the director of this mission.

Liberia Mission Inc. was originally founded in 2003 as an orphanage. This mission has expanded greatly these past eight years, though, and now house around one hundred children (boys and girls). The property also holds a chapel where a priest comes to say Mass every Sunday and a school that goes up through the ninth grade.

I originally wanted to make it to a town called Robertsport during my time in Liberia, but that turned out to be a good distance away so we were never able to make it over there. The reason I wanted to go there was because it is a popular beach destination in Liberia. But this last trip was more than sufficient to make up for Robertsport.

So then, before we headed back to Bomi, we went to lunch Saturday afternoon with one of the local priests. We ended up at a hotel that supposedly had pretty decent food. When we walked around to the restaurant in the back, however, the heavens opened up and the light shone beautifully onto the rolling waves and white sand of a pristine African beach. So we had a delicious lunch, pleasant company, and the sound of the ocean to round off my time in Africa beautifully.

And what would end the day better than an authentic Liberian taxi ride back to Bomi? Seven passengers squeezed very uncomfortably into a normal sized taxi that would fit four passengers fairly comfortably back home.

Oh Africa, how I will miss thee.

-Dan
written 08/14/11

1 comment:

  1. Bob and Dan,

    Your blog posts have been well written and you both have been refreshingly open and honest about your reactions to all that has come your way this summer. I not only enjoyed reading about Africa and your experiences there, but also about your spiritual journey. Many issues you addressed are similar to ones I'm dealing with so you gave me some needed spiritual 'support'.

    Thank you for your time and effort and be assured of my prayers for you both as you settle back into life in the seminary.

    Pat from St. Pete

    ReplyDelete