Wednesday, August 3, 2011

From Coal to Kola

This past week since I have been back in Liberia, Bruno, the catechist I have been traveling with, has been teaching me more about the land and how the people live. At times it seems like I’m having my own biology lessons.

He first explained to me the process they use to make coal. This cleared up a lot of different sites I have seen during my time here: large stacks of wood piled up everywhere, smoldering piles of dirt, large bags of unknown material being sold all around the markets.

After this, Bruno has been pointing out all of the different vegetation that we come across. From corn to cassava to kola nuts, I am now skilled in the art of recognizing and distinguishing these different plants species. And not only recognition, but he has taught me how they plant, harvest, and cook most of these as well. So I figure now if this priesthood thing doesn’t work out I could make a fairly competent farmer…in Liberia at least.


It is amazing, though, how the people here have learned to live off the land in every way possible. They make their housing mostly from natural materials they find locally, they cook what they grow, and the children use their imagination to play with whatever they can find. Even when it comes to adapting to this postwar environment, the people are ready and able to adapt right along with it.

From the first moment I flew into Kenya I noticed the difference from Liberia. The increased poverty and desolation that I have experienced the previous five weeks were greatly reduced. And even though we had an amazing week exploring the beauty of Kenya, I am glad to spend my remaining few weeks back in this place. So that I can end this assignment with these people and their country fresh in my mind. So that I can learn whatever else I can about their way of life and their hope for the future. And that I take all of this back with me as I continue on my own journey through life back home.

-Dan
written 08/03/11

No comments:

Post a Comment