Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lazy Sunday

So, I feel obliged to quash any rumors before they start regarding my birthday here in Africa. No, there was no sacrificial goat offered, and no, I was not branded with any tribal tattoos…and no to everything else.

Yesterday we had a dinner in honor of my birthday and Jackie’s leaving. She is heading off to Rome and then Spain for World Youth Day. So there was no animal sacrificed (there were two live chickens brought up for the offertory at Mass today, however, so it is very likely that one ended up as our lunch today), but we did have cake. And overall it was a rather lazy Sunday.

I feel that the gospel was very appropriate, though. A coincidence? Well, you know Einstein said that coincidences are God’s way of remaining anonymous. Anyhow, I’ve been praying with this particular gospel of the walking on the water for the past year. Putting myself in Peter’s shoes, being called out into the stormy waters. And on my birthday, a day usually spent with family and friends, I now find myself in a quieter situation and able to reflect more on my now twenty four years on this earth.

This also brings me to a song by Danielle Rose titled Walk on Water. In this song she narrates the gospel passage. It is a powerful song, but the end is what hits home for me today. Especially as I will be traveling home in a few days (10 be exact…not that I’m counting or anything) that I keep the stillness that I have been blessed with this summer. Asking the Lord to keep me in the harbor of His peace:

Lord, you brought out of Egypt through the water.
You baptized me with power to believe.
Truly you’re the son of God, Lord Jesus.
Keep me in the harbor of your peace.
Be still my soul, for God can do all things.

-Dan
written 08/07/11

No comments:

Post a Comment