Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dawn From on High

I can’t believe that I’m within my last week here in Liberia. I’m even more surprised by the fact that I’ve already spent nine weeks in Africa. But what else is surprising is that throughout this blog I have not once mentioned SeaWorld. And who would I be if I didn’t? Anyway, around here the mention of SeaWorld or working with killer whales (my claim to fame) means nothing...humility check. But my reason for writing this entry actually has to do with what I learned from my experience working there in relation to this African mission.

During my time working at Shamu Stadium I was able to be a part of an amazing team of trainers. And there was one in particular, Dawn Brancheau, who tragically lost her life in an accident involving one of the whales. She was a continued inspiration while on the job, and even now as her legacy lives on in our hearts.

All through college I interned and worked at SeaWorld, aspiring to be a trainer when I finished. And I feel that I got as close as I possibly could (and technically my job title was Associate Trainer) when I felt the call to enter seminary. It was tough to leave, but I received great support from all the trainers, particularly Dawn. Through this I discovered that she was a Catholic as well, and a special connection was immediately formed. We then were able to share our mutual faith with one another and she couldn’t have been happier for my decision. And the one time I got onto the top level of the stage was with Dawn, and there we prayer for the safety of the animals and the trainers…

Dawn also shared with me her desire to soon visit Africa as part of a mission team through a priest that she knew. She brought him backstage once and made sure that I was there to meet him. The organization that he founded is in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and was created in response to the devastated living conditions of millions of children. At this point I had no idea that I would one day soon end up in Africa myself.

When I was discerning the seminary and praying about the option of working as a trainer, the one question that always tugged at me was whether I would be fully satisfied doing that work. And while God seemed to be calling me personally in a different direction, Dawn showed me that, without a doubt, you could be. By her ever-present enthusiasm and zeal, she showed me that no matter where we may be called to in this world, we are all called to let the light of Christ to shine through us. And by realizing the plan that God has for us will allow us to do just that. As St. Catherine of Sienna said, “Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.”

Being blessed with the opportunity to do mission work in Africa, I have kept Dawn close in prayer. And I believe that I have been able to discover a little more about exactly who God has made me to be. This chance to build relationships with the people, and especially the children, has been a once in a lifetime experience that I will always remember. And I know that Dawn would have loved it too, and more importantly, they would have loved her.

As I have starting saying goodbye to the various groups that I visit throughout the week, today one boy asked me why I was sent here to him. I paused, kind of shocked actually, that this boy felt as though God has sent me to him personally. I was filled with thanks to God for that moment and for apparently making an impact in this child’s life…then I realized that the boy actually asked what will I send him when I get back to America. Nevertheless, I will remember that memory the way I want, and send him some prayers when I get back home.

And I always continue my prayer for the safety of the animals and trainers at SeaWorld. And as we pray every morning during the Liturgy of the Hours:
In the tender compassion of our God
The Dawn from on high shall break upon us,
To shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death,
And to guide our feet into the way of peace.

-Dan
written 08/11/11

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! :) I also love SeaWorld! I hope you have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete